mystery relay

    This is a box...actually, this is a relay from my car.  What the
hell does it do?  Anyone?

                           __________
                         |\          2          \
                         |  \   ------------
          5-->      |     |                  |
                         |  3 |                  | <--4
                         |     |        1        |
                           \    |                  |
                             \ |________|
                               )( )( )( )( )( )(   <--prongs

look above for corresponding side number:

1.has a diagram of a square with some kind of circuit on the inside, and
the bottom part
of the square has four prongs labelled left to right: "31 G S 15"

2. the number 43

3.the following: 5417-0787

4. <nothing>

5. the VW part no. 191 919 376

    I've just started to really get into my car now.  The dash is off
and the wires are starting to overwhelm me.  Any hints for the
uneducated electrician with a Bentley in hand? (and I don't want to hear
anything about stopping right where I am).

    Thanks to all for you attention.

jason
the mad bastard