From: Christopher Mende <csmende@bayern.me.iastate.edu>
Subject: [AC Removal Success]
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 1997 23:31:07 -0600 (CST)

Merry Xmas everyone, hope you're all having a great time!

Like I said, who needs A/C in the winter, anyway?? ;-)

With the help of mark, the potterman and other posters, I was able to
successfully remove the compressor from my '84, until a suitable time
comes to revamp/convert the system to new specs.

Here are the steps, should anyone need this in the future:

(My car had the sanden (round) compressor, which is mounted BELOW the
alternator)

1) Remove alternator (slider bar, pivot, cable to starter)
2) Remove compressor (slider bar & pivot, 2 freon hoses(properly
discharged)
3) Remove the alternator/compressor cast bracket. 3 bolts attaching it to
the block, and one pivot bolt (identical to alternator pivot), which is
accessible through the timing belt cover (there is a small plastic patch
you need to simply pop out to gain access).

--here it differs from what I was told, and I'm probably being risky-

4) Replaced the 47 mm offset pully on the alternator w/ one that gave me
57mm offset. I havea part # for this pulley somewhere, if it's needed.
5) Remounted the alternator in the pivot mount that was originally used
for the alternator/compressor bracket. If it doesn't fit in, there is a
bushing on the pivot mount that you can gently (I used a hammer, heh!)
tap
out until you have enough clearance.
6) Strapped the sucker up with at 9.5x950mm belt.
7) Either remove the rest of the compressor wiring/tubing, or zip tie it
so it doesn't get caught in a belt later on!

-the steps I gleaned off other list members- (Thanks!)

Replace the crank and waterpump pulleys (instead of alternator pulley),
remount alternator, and all will fit. Currently, my 9.5mm belt is a bit
narrow for the wider channels in the crank/water pulleys, but it works.

-------

What I did notice is that the idle response is a bit faster and smoother,
but then again the reason I took the compressor out is because it's pivot
mounts were chewed up...

     Christopher Mende             ICEMT         O: 515-294-6738
     www.icemt.iastate.edu           @           F: 515-294-5531
     bayern.me.iastate.edu    Iowa State Univ    H: 515-292-6658