Re: Stock rule's

At 10:37 PM -0800 01/03/1998, Paul Krucke wrote:
>---Iain Mannix <mannix@privateI.com> wrote:
>> but I finally
>> understood why people do get bent about ........ timing belt
>> covers
>
>timing belt covers?  Please explain that one...
>
>==
>-Paul

I, and other people, like to leave the timing belt cover off the engine.
Locally, no one cares - it is illegal to have it off - everyone realizes
that it weighs 2 pounds or less and there's no performance advantage to be
had by leaving it off.  Go to Nationals without one, people all of a sudden
begin to care, their thoughts presumably being "if he feels OK leaving that
off, what else did he 'leave off?'"  So, I put mine on before Nationals to
avoid stressing people out.

As far as the safety of leaving the cover off, I have never had any
problems resulting from its not being there(I took off both upper and
lower).  I've never heard of people having things jump in there and break
the belt.  You can theorize about sticks and stones all day long - I don't
deny it could happen, but I and many other people have traveled thousands
and thousands of miles without covers, without problems.

I.Mannix(anticipation & looking ahead, so to speak;)