Re: Stock rule's / was:HELLO AND THANKS

At 5:41 PM +0800 01/01/1998, Michael & Kristen Potter wrote:

>> > My question now is this: I currently have a MOMO 350mm Monte Carlo
>> > Wheel. To stay in H-Stock, will I have to go back to the VW wheel?
>>
>> This is a tricky one.  If the car had an airbag, you have to keep the
>> original wheel.  Otherwise a 350mm wheel comes out to be a couple of mm
>> short of the required 14 inches I believe your car requires.  I think
>> stock is 15 inch. (huge for a car with power steering IMHO)
>
>Here's another loop to this rule( at least for a 94 Jetta)
>
>"Some" 94 Jetta's did not have an airbag & some that did'nt
>came with a 3 spoke 350mm steering wheel that was a replica to a euro
>A3 GTI.  I think VW de Mexico ran out of the HUGE wheel's & put these
>on to get the car's out & about.
>
>If you did'nt have an airbag your set, keep the Monte Carlo!!

If we're being picky, he'd have to get _the_ steering wheel that came in
the car - one could try the "C&C" route, but unfortunately, the rulebook
specifically disallows changes on post 90 cars.  Interesting bit of trivia,
though!

Of course, anyone who would protest at the local level on a steering wheel
is a chucklehead, but I think the rationale is something like this - "if he
has a wheel which is illegal, what else does he have?"  I always sorta
thumbed my nose at this attitude, as it seemed a bit presumptious, but at
Nationals this year, I did find myself wondering - a competitor had two
illegal modifications on his car which were not really adding up to
anything - a welded in rear stressbar and tabs welded to his body which
bolted to tabs on his rollcage - a bit more performance enhancement than a
steering wheel, but still, not like a cam or illegal lightening.  I was
beginning to wonder, but being that DSP is such a friendly place, we all
talked about it, it had not occured to him that it was illegal, and took
the bolts out for the next day.  Nice guy, as it turns out - but it does
make you wonder initially......

"hmmm, if he could not figure out that stressbars have to be bolted in, and
if the rules explaining rollcage installation were not clear enough, what
other rules does he not understand????...."

 Get it?  Not saying MichaelB is cheating - but these are the thoughts that
inevitably go through one's mind.  I had no reason to protest Michael at
Nationals, and no one else did(although a couple were close), but I finally
understood why people do get bent about steering wheels, timing belt
covers, etc.  Not advocation, just my interpretation.....

I.Mannix