Electrical Poltergeist II: A Different Daemon

Hey, again, folks. . .

I have a new electrical problem on my '81.  I installed a new voltage
regulator a week or so ago, and then a new battery.  Now, the car
will start just fine and idle for about 10 minutes.  Then, it
suddenly dies and the battery is dead.  A set of jumper cables will
start the car, but not revive the battery.  Driving won't help the
battery, either.

The first time, I returned the battery to the store, thinking I had
somehow gotten a bad battery.  The salesman tested it, said the
voltage was OK but the cold cranking amps were way down.  The newest
battery did the same thing, though.  The salesman tested the charging
system on my car, and said that the gauge went from 3 volts to 7
volts to 14 volts, each time making a sudden jump.  These jumps occur
in no particular order.  He said it could be a bad alternator, or
possibly a short.  He said when he removed the clamps from the
battery, there was a spark at the positive terminal (with the car
running).

Do I have a bad alternator or a short somewhere?  Other than the
charging system, everything electrical on the car works flawlessly.

It's an '81 Scirocco, 5-sp tranny, AC.  The alternator is a Bosch
with external regulator--which leads to another question.  I have a
Motorola with internal regulator on my '77; will it work on my '81?

Thanks in advance!

Carlee