Re: Tires For H-Stock Comp.

I. Mannix wrote in response to my questions of 12/31

MA>I'd go used first.  Does your car have 14" or 15" wheels?  Let me know, and
MA>start hitting up people for new tires - a big problem newcomers have with R
MA>tires is spinning the inside edges off while exiting corners - it is a
MA>shame to see a newcomer do this to a brand new set of R tires.  I'd go with
MA>BFG, personally, for reasons I stated before(long enough wearing, good
MA>grip, reasonable price).   But, for starters, I'd recommend
MA>scrounging a few used R tires - burn up tires that dont matter, then buy
MA>new.

That is really good, sound advice. As a newcomer, I guess I am prone to
want to run with the big dogs right away. A look at my times from last
summer should serve as a reminder to me that I am just that--a
beginner. You are right--save my money to buy NEW tires when I start
getting these smooth and consistent. SO, anybody have any used auto-x
tires they want to unload?  I have 14" rims on the jetta.

Regarding my MOMO steering wheel, IM wrote:

MA>From the 97 rulebook - 13.2.E - For cars designated model year 1990 and
MA>earlier alternate steering wheels are allowed provided the outside diameter
MA>is not changed by more than one inch from standard size, except that
MA>steering wheels with an integral airbag may not be changed.

MA>So, if your car is 1990 or earlier, the wheel is OK.  That's it,
MA>unfortunately.  Chances are, however, that most local competitors would not
MA>have an issue with it, especially at first(IE, if you are not beating
MA>them), especially if the 350mm is within the 1" limit.

Again, good advice. When I put it into the perspective of being a
(inconsistent) beginner, I am sure no one will mind, especially, if I
(as IM suggested) let the tech inspectors know BEFORE the event. I will
carry my stock wheel with me just in case there is a problem. It is
nice that VW wheels are so easy to change!

Thank you very much for these suggestions. My VW binder is growing...my
knowledge is growing and for once, I am not shelling out tons of
dollars needlessly!

Best
John A-G
94 Jetta GL