Re: [TECH] Autocross setup

Go with the 205's. It puts more rubber (205mm vs 195mm) on the road

Later
Tom Byrne
www.livingitup.com

----------
ATZFrom: "David Ruby" <dbruby@ainet.com>
ATZTo: "scirocco list" <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
ATZSubject: [TECH] Autocross setup
ATZDate: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 10:50:38 -0800
ATZ
ATZHello Listers.
ATZI am beginning to gear up for my first ever Autocross (Oakland, CA; Jan.
31).  I am seeking good advice from the seasoned autocrossers among us.
I'll be using my '86 8v, which has the Boge/Hor suspension setup, and
virtually no other mods.  By the time of the race, it should also have a
short shift kit, too.
ATZI guess my specific question (other than general advice which one might
overlook) is this: I have two sets of wheels for the car:
ATZ
ATZ13x5.5" factory 7-spokes with 205-60HR 13 Continental CH51's
ATZ14x6 factory "Mk1 GTI" wheels with 195-60HR 14 Bridgestone RE92's
ATZ
ATZWhich would be the best set to use?  Both have virtually full tread.  I
would surmise that the 13" set is marginally lighter (or has less rotating
mass), so the car might accelerate more quickly.  The 14's, however, feel
like they corner with more ultimate adhesion, and without strut hop.  Any
thoughts?
ATZ
ATZMy goal, other than adding the experience of running a full autocross
season this next year, is having fun without breaking the bank or the car.
Also, if I can beat my buddy with the Celica GTS, all the better!
ATZ
ATZTIA for the thoughts,
ATZDave
ATZ'86 8v