RE: Shifter....

>Problem - Hard to get into 1st, 2nd & 5th... also, there is a lot of
>play once it is in gear (4" any direction)
>
>solution?
>
>Is this a transmission or shifter issue?  can I just replace the shifter
>bushings, or are these symptoms indicative of something more sinister?

common VW problem.  get the bushing kit from either the dealer or TT or
somewhere else (no more than 20 bucks at the dealer) and replace all the
shifter bushings.  easy although slightly dirty job.  the one bushing
that DOESN'T come with those kits is the one that holds the main rod
from the shifter in place under the car.  if this bushing is bad (or
altogether missing, as mine is) this will make the shifter move side to
side about 2" even if you do replace all the other ones.  also, while
you are under there, check the tightness of the nut on the bottom of the
linkage that the rod moves.  it's a rubber ball on the end of a short
arm.....there's a nut that holds that to a vertical rod.  this comes
loose sometimes and adds even more slack.

chris
86 16V scirocco