digital ignition

I picked-up some info on a simple DIY electronic ignition system, using
a Motorola processor,  which allows you to ditch the distributor and
program your own custom ignition curve, via a PC serial interface. It
comes with circuit info, prototype software for the controller.  With
some minor modification, it could be adapted to use knock-sensor data to
optimise ignition timing and also an O2 sensor.
I'm looking at it because in the UK we lose leaded fuel at the end of
'99 and the VW recommended option for A1 K-JET engines is to retard by 6
deg. to run on unleaded.  That's quite a lot of power & economy loss.

At the moment I have 2 problems:
 engine timing  :- I can't think of anything I can use to get engine
timing info.  Many systems use an inductor circuit on a toothed crank
pulley, which pulses each time a tooth passes the inductor. TDC is
marked with a missing tooth.
 knock sensor :-  I can't find any technical info on the VW knock
sensors or how and where they are fixed to the block (audi 1992 2.0L )

Does anyone have a simple description of how the CIS-E system works, or
even the Digifant. or any technical info on these systems.

Or even better, has anyone else done a similar project.

Note that this is a euro model car so I don't have any of the CIS-E
stuff you have over in the States.

TIA

Ewan Hopkins...

'85 Storm 2.0