Re: 16v Starter Bolts - what are they?

At 02:35 AM 12/24/98 -0500, Etrik wrote:
>Neal Tovsen wrote:
>>
>> What kind of bolts does my starter use to attach to the engine? If someone
>> could indicate both the type and size, that'd be great. The Bentley just
>> says "remove bolts" and the Chilton says "special allen socket." I couldn't
>> find an allen socket to fit, and none of my Torx sockets fit, either. I
>> can't really get a straight visual line on it, so I can't really tell by
>> looking. Is it one of those 12-point Torx-like things (similar to drive
>> shaft bolts)? Where do you get them? I went all over and most places hadn't
>
>Your answered your own question, its a 12 point, 12mm(??) not sure on
>the
>size, it's also called serated (sp?). it's the exact same kind of
>bolt as on the CV joints.

Now I could be wrong, but they should be normal 6 sided hex bolts(cap
screws).  The size is 10mm or 12mm.  Every Rabbit, GTI and Scirocco had the
exact same bolts- all 6 sided(that's 10+ VWs).

John Worden
Old Town, ME.
 '98  Dakota cc Sport 4x4, 3.9 auto, Intense Blue,
 '84  Scirocco (under construction) Brakes and Suspension currently
 '69  MGB Roadster(in need of restoration)