Re: odometer gear failing

---"A. Bjorkheim" <andreb@u.washington.edu> wrote:

>   What was the consensus on the tiny white gear that commony fail on
> older VWs.  Did you have to buy entirely new speedometers, or have them
> fixed at a cost of $100 dollars?  I just need the single white gear for
> the damn trip odometer, its the gear on the shaft with all the number
> dials on it.  Any leads?  BTW, I have a 100MPH Motometer Speedo and a
> FO tranny.  TIA...
>
>  Andre'

My advice would be to go junk yard shopping for a new spedo or entire
cluster, which should be significantly less then $100.  Use the gear
from that speedo to fix your 100MPH unit.  Now, I'm not sure if there's
a difference between the Motos and the VDOs as far as that gear goes, but
I would suspect their is.

==Brett