Re(2): All this

Hey,

My definition of "reliability" was poor, and I should clear that up -
'cause I agree completely.

Reliability, to me, doesn't include things like rotted out gas tanks
and bald tires.  Reliability means the car actually starts when the
engine is in a good state of repair.  I can't blame a gas tank for
rotting out after 13 years, nor can I blame an 8 year old fuel pump
for wearing out.  These things just wear out over time.
Unreliability is a poorly designed belt system (a la Golf Diesel with
air conditioning and no power steering) that wears out both belts
every two oil changes.  Unreliability is an engine comaprtment that
seems to attract dirt and muck (a la 1986 Renault Alliance) which
makes it almost impossible to do anything without three engine
shampooings.

The Scirocco is hardly an unreliable car.  It just can't be
neglected, either.

Cheers,
-- Michael Helms

'81 Scirocco - the fixer-upper
'86 Scirocco - the daily driver

Web Site:  http://www.continuum.org/helms

"If you don't believe your country should come before yourself, you
can better serve your country by living somewhere else."  - Dr.
Stompin' Tom Connors