Re: Window Tinting

Ewan Marshall - Frans Maas Linlithgow <Ewan.Marshall@UK.Sun.COM> wrote:

> Does anyone know what is the best stuff to use for tinting
> car windows.A friend got some stuff from the States,but I can't
> remember what it is called.Anyone any ideas???

In March 1996 I tinted my Scirocco and a friends Scirocco with "Solar Gard"
window film that we purchased from a tint shop.  It has 15% light
transmittance (meaning it's dark).  I was pulled over in May 1996 late at
night, and the officers tint meter read 9%, which tells me factory tint is
good for about a 6% reduction.  When an officer tested it two months ago in
bright sunlight, the meter read 13%.    I feel the lighter reading was most
likely from the sunlight and not fading.

When the friends Scirocco was broken into a few months ago, she had the
shop we got the tint from retint the new window.  There is NO visual
differences between the old and new tint.

I can only speak highly of the "Solar Gard" (may be spelled "guard", not
sure) professional brand.  It hasn't faded, bubbled, or turned purple like
the store bought crap.  I will be using it again in the Spring on several
other vehicles.

Greg :)  (...was it the tint, or the awesome installer?!)

Gregory S. Davis
1985 Euro-Spec Scirocco       http://members.iglou.com/scirocco

"GAK Motorsports.....Your source for European License Plates!"
http://members.iglou.com/scirocco/gakmotor.htm