[radio] Small Antenna Tweak

AKA- The radio with two heads.

Hey folks, I've been getting more done lately on the car at lunch time than I
have at night when I get home.

( I've replaced the wooden dowling, used to keep my rear shelf mock-up from
sagging, with a 6' piece of aluminum angle- cut into two parts. Works great.
Zip-ties keep them in place for now, nuts & bolts will go into the final model
to allow speakers to be suspended from it. )

Latest project competed is a small one but seems to have worked as advertised.

My radio won't pull in my favorite stations, depending on what part of the SF
Bay area I'm in. Down the road is plans for a total audio redo but for now I'm
running a funky AM/FM casset whoose looks may discourage it getting stolen.
Since reception is poor I wanted to try this tip I picked up, either here on
the list of in the Watercooled Nesgroup. Author ID has been lost but is
acknowledged.

The plan is to graft a second antenna in line with the current one, I don't
think this is applicable to the GTI style amplified ones, but should assist a
non-amped unit.

I found the following parts at Radio Shack which made it plug n' play:

1.  #12-1313  Antenna Y-Adapter
2.  #12-1327  Flexible Universal Radio Antenna

Cost are scketchy this many months later but I figure it was like $3-5 for the
adapter & $7-14 for the antenna.

The general proceedure is to put the Y adapter in to the lead coming out the
back of the radio, plug both antenna leads from the two antennas into it and
route the new antenna up in the dash, I found a tidy place for it up on top of
my '81's glove box. Securing it from rattling is a good idea.

My ability to reach my standard stations has jumped up considerably.

Possible drawbacks include too much signal to keep the stations seperated.
Local/DX switch can help with this.
-

Happy days,
TBerk