Re: while I'm thinking about it.......(struts)

At 02:24 PM 12/15/98 -0600, Bret wrote:
>I have the call out to the list for what to do on replacing struts tonight.

>Hell, this is my first water pumper, I'm in a bit of a fog.
   Bret, I'm only 200mi away (Okc, Ok) but I won't be down that direction
for a couple of weeks at least. I don't know the specific size of the
retaining nut on your struts, mine is 22mm with a 7mm allen in the center
of the shaft. Sears has a 3/8 drive allen avail. separately. As for the
22mm(yours?) get a 1/2 or 3/8 drive socket of the size you need and grind 2
parallel flat surfaces near the top(the drive end) to allow a wrench(big
crescent type) to grip. You will(!) need a spring compressor to get the
fronts done. Some stores let you borrow them if you buy their stuff. Might
be a good time to replace the strut bearings too. It comes in handy to have
a vise and a big pipe wrench as well to loosen/tighten the strut cart.
retaining collars. e-mail me direct if you have any questions.
   Gerry