RE: Tranny: CHE/DFQ

Rich,

I'd say the transplant was a success.  The DFQ bolted right in after
swapping a few brackets over from the old transmission (shift linkage pieces
and studs for the rear mount).

As for the gear ratios, they are a bit "long legged" compared to the close
ratio tranny.  The most noticeable jump is the 1st to 2nd gear shift.  If
your stopwatch is ticking and you're trying to get to 60 MPH as quickly as
possible, this tranny probably isn't for you because it WILL slow you down a
bit.  On the other hand, if your engine has been tuned to retain a fair
portion of its low-end and midrange torque, this tranny is excellent for
daily driving (and highway cruising).  And of course I still think the .805
fifth gear is great.

Even if I have this one rebuilt at some point in the future (changing 2nd
and 3rd back to AGB/2Y ratios), I'm pleased to know I have good a quality,
low mileage core.

-Bradley
http://effervescent.com/vw/
'86 S 16V 2.0l (Tornado Red) [DFQ recipient]
'87 S 16V "bone stock" (Flash Silver)