Re: 16V rocco "tucked in" rear wheels...

In a message dated 12/7/98 1:19:20 PM Pacific Standard Time, Coracin@usdl.com
writes:

>  I'm finding it hard to visualize why widening the rear track would
>  adversely affect handling....  who's to say it wouldn't improve
>  handling?

Think less about how the rear suspension in isolation would react and turn thy
attention to the rear following behind the front. Consider a single wheel in
the back, without the hatch and such- just the front of the car, front seats
and doors and a single rear wheel were the current rear track is now. Extreme,
but a useful example.

With a larger rear track the car will tend to get 'pushed' by the more
dominate rear, the other side being a rear that is narrower and tends to trail
behind or follow the front. Too narrow will get too 'twitchy'.

Sounds like the right balance of narrower rear and one that the same as the
front will combine a stable ride with one that is nimble, but not twitchy.

Dems me thinkins, lets bat it around-
TBerk