[non-rocco] Octane

This is from Jan's VW Page:  http://www-pal.usc.edu/~jan/cars.html

The US/Canada uses a different Octane rating system  at the
gas pumps than most other countries.

They use the U.S. Cost of Living Council (CLC) index
which is the average of the Research Octane Number (RON) and
the Motor Octane Number (MON):

                CLC = (RON + MON) / 2

                RON = Research Octane number (ROZ in Germany)
                MON = Motor Octane Number
                CLC = U.S. Cost of Living Council

This translates to (roughly):

                91 RON = 87 CLC (Regular)
                95 RON = 91 CLC (Premium)

Why they use this number is unknown to me. I am sure
there must have been a good reason.

I hope this clears up any confusion on this topic . . .

Mark . . .   (THINK VW)
Scirocco 1982, Golf GT 1987
Scirocco 1978
Scirocco 1980 S (we'll see)
Previous Sciroccos: 1981S (RIP), 1980S, 1975TS, 1975
http://home.t-online.de/home/SCIROCCO2/mark.htm