Re: side mirror replacement and maintenance (long)

If the motors (cervos) in the mirrors are making
alot of bad noise its best to find replacement ones
from a wrecker.  Cutting open the mirror assemblly
is not alot of fun -and you want to avoid it.  Unless
you like punishment or were a avid model builder as
a child.  If you do cut it open you can use a good
blast of air to clean things up and use fine gear oil
on anything that looks like it moves.  Then test it
before reassembly if its quieter you've succeeded
-otherwise its time to replace it.  WARNING there are
a couple of spings inside that are almost impossible to
put back on if you open the mirror up.  So I really
recommend you get replacement mirrors before you try
this.

If your control stick is clunky and isn't working well
you can pop it out easily - however when you pop it
open to look inside make sure you are standing over a
nice clean floor (not carpet) as there are 4 (or 5)
little metal balls and springs inside that will shoot
out if you are not very careful.  Clean the metal
surface with grease remover and sand/scrubb the
surfaces until shiney and new.  Regrease with a
conductive lubricate and reasseble.  WARNING: I had to
get my friend to reassemble this part as my hards just
aren't steady enough to do it.  And you will need
needlenose pliers and alot of patience.  Having a spare
control stick module is handy because you never know if
your going to lose one of those little balls or
springs.

Basically replacment is easier but if you get stuck drop me a line and
I'll try to help you out.  Its one of the few things on my rocco that
I've rebuild from other parts.

Lee Crawford
84 Scirocco
..time to go remove the seats and get to work...

---Owen <rabeys@cadvision.com> wrote:

> Ok, like many people on the list my side mirrors are getting all
gross.  I
> heard the mirrors are big money for new ones.  Anybody have an idea
of what
> they cost?  Also, my motor for the power mirrors make some awful
noises
> when I adjust them.  is there anything I can lube the gears with.
Anybody