Re: tech procedures, warnings on 16V rocco (very long, sorry)

Date:          Thu, 03 Dec 1998 22:48:07 -0500
From:          Jim Buck <vwpride@mixi.net>
To:            Chris Coracini <Coracin@usdl.com>
Cc:            "'scirocco-l@scirocco.org'" <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Subject:       Re: tech procedures, warnings on 16V rocco (very long, sorry)

When I did mine on the 16v.  I dropped engine oil on them enough to
fill the seat a little .  It seamed to help but it still was a little
work as the old seals were petrified.  I found prying off the intake
with 2 screwdrivers ( the craftsman kind so you can get a new one
when you break them in half!!)  where you can fit them just under the
injector fitting works ok.  the ones that I couldn't fit 2 screw
drivers under I used one and pulled carefully on the fuel line.  16v
injectors can be a pain.  There is no cool tool that works like 8v's
those are easy.
Also I bought the viton seals and could not force them to seat in the
head.  they seated but not as far down as the old ones is it normal
for the injectors to sink in over time????   I used some stock seals
I had laying around.  The seals may have been unusually stiff as the
garage was 50 degrees
hth
Tony

Thanks for your detailed report Chris.  I wonder if there is something you can
spray in the injector sockets before you pull the injectors, to marinate them
and soften them up.  Well?  What would you guys and gals on the list
'rocco-mend?

jim

Chris Coracini wrote:

> INJECTOR O-RINGS (warning):
>
> these $10 parts cost me a total of a days work and $115 for two new
> injectors and four new lower inserts...  here's what happened..
>
> the injectors are held in place only by the O-rings, right?  right.  to
> remove the injectors "simply pull on them, and they will come out".  (i
> like that they inserted the word "simply" in there).  well, one problem
> was that my O-rings were so old that they had turned to ceramic.  they
> were literally as hard as rocks.  another problem (only for 16V's) is
> that you CAN NOT get a grip on these things, because they are inserted
> in the little itty bitty space between the intake plenums, so it is
> impossible to get a good grip to get them out...

> Jim Buck

1990 Passat Wagon 2.0 16v
1987 Scirocco 16v "lil 109"
1982 Rabbit Convertible