RE: mechanics

the hardest part about the timing belt is getting that (*#$& crankshaft
harmonic balancer pulley thing off!!  if you get that off, the rest
isn't that hard.  timing is pretty easy too (on the 16V's at least, you
only have to time the camshaft with the crankshaft, the intermediate
shaft timing is irrelevant.)  the 8V's require you to time all three
shafts, that may be frustrating, but with a little patience shouldn't be
too hard either...

chris
86 16V scirocco