Re: need tranny help BAD!

At 05:12 PM 8/31/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Well, guys, I just fucked up.  I saw that someone posted a 0-50 mph time
>for the 8v, so I had to see what mine would do.  From a stop, I chirped
>the tires in 1st gear and headed into second.  I hit 2nd with a lot of
>RPM's, but it felt OK.  I went into 3rd and finally 4th.  I started
>slowing down and took a turn.  When I went to shift into second gear, I
>heard a little bit of grinding.  The shifter didn't feel like it made it
>all the way to the left like it normally does either.  And, it drove
>like I was in 4th gear still.  I shifted into 3rd and the RPM's jumped
>up like I DOWN shifted.  All I can find right now are (reverse maybe),
>3rd, 4th, and 5th.  I'm still at work, so I haven't gotten to look at it
>yet.  What might I have done?  (Please don't tell me I'm fucked
>either.)

  Did the shift pattern seem like all the gears were shifted over one to
the left? If so, its one of your shift linkages. I posted a fix for this a
few weeks ago, let me know if you need a copy, and I can email it tonight.
The short version: The linkage is approximately under where the overflow
tank is, so lift that up and out of the way. Have someone in the car move
the lever around.You should see the linkage move when they do this. It will
be hanging freely at one end. Look close to this end of the linkage, and
you'll see a ball that the linkage socket fits onto. Snap the linkage
socket back onto that ball, and that'll fix it temporarily. To fix it for
good, you need a linkage with new ends on it. They're cheap, even from the
dealer. And they're easy to install.

Brad