Gauge woes

Dan,

One of the trickiest thing about playing with gauges is making sure you
have the right sending units.  I bought the three gauge cluster out of an
Audi 5000 Sport (I think), and ended up making another trip back to the
yard (and obviously spending more money) for the sending unit for the oil
pressure.

Luckily, the oil temperature sensor was the same as the one currently in
my 'rocco, so I could use that.  However, I couldn't hook up both the MFI
oil temp gauge, and the VDO oil temp gauge at the same time.  Neither
would work properly.  Basically, I mounted a tiny toggle switch in the
glove box so I could pick which gauge I wanted to read from.  Most of the
time, I use the VDO ... but if I really need to know specifics for some
reason, I have the digital at my fingertips.

Obviously, any voltage gauge will work ... there's no external sensor for
these gauges.

The only other gauge I'm aware of that I could (theoretically) install is
the clock and the water temperature gauges.  The clock seems redundant, as
my MFI and my radio both have clocks ... and there's a water temp gauge on
the dash.  And maybe a match fuel gauge to really make it look like a
racing car?  Seems like a lot of trouble to mount three more gauges (which
I really don't have space for) which will be completely redundant.

Sorry for the babble ... just my $0.02, if any of this is actually
relevant.
-- Michael Helms

'81 Scirocco - the fixer-upper
'86 Scirocco - the daily driver