From: "Victor Farren" <vfarren@smtp.cdie.org>
To: scirocco-L@scirocco.org
Subject: engine mods
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 15:07:37 -0400

This one goes out to the collective.

I have an '84 8 valve that had a 1986 golf engine put in it b/c the
scirocco one was shot (lost 8hp in that transfer, sh*t!).  I have
concluded that my engine just doesn't have a big enough sack, and want to
do something about it.  The two things I am playing around with are:

1) Installing aftermarket cam, new header, better exhaust

or

2) buying a used or rebuilt 16v (preferably 2.0 -- came w/ Passat,
right?) and getting that put in.

Questions are:  If I am going to get the 16v, do I need to get a new
transmission as well; what else needs to be replaced?
If I decide to just trick out the existing engine, what am I getting
into?  Isn't it true that once you start putting in aftermarket parts to
the engine you decrease the life of it (it has 92k)?

Which is the best way to go?  I realize that the 16v route will probably
be more expensive, but I would be allowing myself room for improvement
(increasing hp) if Ifeel like I want it, instead of hitting a ceiling
with a fully modified 8v.

I am not sure which route to go.  Any and all advice as to what mods to
make, or info on swaps would me very much appreciated.

Victor