Re: Neuspeed Gauge plate for Sciroccos

> Any VDO gauge (standard size) will fit in these things.  As of now, I
> own a voltage gauge, oil temp gauge, water temp gauge, Amperage gauge
> (non-functional, anyone have the specs on where this thing hooks to?
> Just to +/- ?), and and oil-pressure gauge (non-functional, sender on
> the way from POTATO, thanks dude.)

NO!  Do NOT hook the ammeter to the + and the - terminals.  You'll melt
the little fucker.  :)  That's how you hook up voltage gauges.  Amperage
is done "in series."  This is because voltmeters have "infinite"
resistance while ammeters how "no" resistance.  You hook up an ammeter
to each post on your battery, and you'll have an enormous amount of
current shooting through that thing.  To me (I don't know about VW
engineers) the logical place to put it would be between the alternator
and the battery.  Does anyone out there have a gauge like this hooked up
and working?

> All you'll need to install the gauges you want are (duh) the gauges,
> which if you're lucky, you'll find at a parts yard (arrive early), and
> the sending units.  The oil sender and water temp sender units mount
> to the engine.  Oil pressure mounts to either the oil filter flange,
> or the side of the head, just above the coolant hose on the driver's
> side (on a JH style engine, at least).

Cool.  I'll take a look.  JH = 8v, right?  Btw, why do you need the
sender from POTATO?

> You'll also need a bunch of
> wires, and (hopefully) some idea of how to wire the gauges.  I think I
> might have some documentation somewhere for them, someone sent it to
> me last year.

Piece of cake (I think).  The wiring should be easy.  Dunno about the
running of the hoses and other lines, though.  We'll see.  Thanks.

Dan
'86 8v red martian

   mailto:nowlan@flash.net
   http://www.flash.net/~nowlan/