[tech] 8v fuel pump question

OK...
    I just went to remove the fuel pump from my '83 Scirocco parts car
(I need it), and in the process of removing, I tried to take off the
smaller of the two electrical connection nuts, and it spun the shaft
that it's connected to, the one that goes down into the fuel pump. It
also destroyed the casing around the rod. I cut the wire and tested the
fuel pump. Nothing. I know the fuel pump worked, because I had the car
running today. SO.... is the fuel pump permanently broken, or is there
anything I can do to fix it? (Basically, the electrical connection
inside the pump seems to have died)
    TIA,
    Josiah
    '83 Scirocco (parts car)