Re: Driving cars hard (high rpm's)

On Tue, Aug 25, 1998 9:44 AM, Mark A Peele <mailto:scirocco.gtx@juno.com>
wrote:
>I don't think of using the full range of a motor is "driving hard". The
>1.5-1.6 motors real power band is 4K-6K anyway. What's wrong with using
>your motor? It was designed to operate in a specific range. Personally, I
>think it is wrong to drive your car gingerly. When I want power, I expect
>the motor to deliver it and fast! I never have shrunk back from taking my
>motor to 6K; damn, the peak HP on most of the 8V motors is 5500 rpm . . .

Sure, and I love to go up around 5800 or so, but it's important to remember
that high RPM's=high engine wear. If you aren't sure how much life your
motor has left and don't feel like replacing it, you may not want to rev
that high. It's the spinning of the crank/pumping of the pistons that
creates wear. More spinning/pumping, more wear. Simple.

scott

'86 Scirocco 8v