From: "Wm. Josiah Erikson" <josiah@gsinet.net>
To: Scirocco List <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Subject: Driving cars hard (high rpm's)
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 08:41:43 -0400

Hmmm...
    Just thinking...
    I've always sortof thought that high rpm's wasn't necessarily taking
a lot of
life out of your engine. I mean, I dunno... I'm sure that VERY high rpm's
are bad,
etc, but I used to drive my old '83 (the one with like 350K miles on it)
up at
high rpm's all the time because that's the only place it had any power.
Down low
there was nothing left (110psi compression per cylinder... it was
dying... but who
could blame it?), so I ran it up to approx. 6500 rpm on a regular basis.
That was
where it had power- below 4800 rpm or so there wasn't anything to speak
of...
    I always run my engines up high, and I always change the oil
regularly and
make sure that it's at the correct level, etc, and generally just take
good care
of my cars, but I beat on them, too. But they always last me and don't
seem to
show any premature signs of wear. But then again, I've only driven a
total of
100,000 miles on 10 cars so far in my life, so I haven't had any one car
for very
long...
    Maybe running cars up that high IS really bad? I never really thought
it was.
I mean, I know people THINK it is, but is it really?
    -Josiah

Alex T