New to list and some questions

Hey all,

Just joined the list last week and have been lurking around.  I have an '84 that is pretty stock right now, but I am plannign on adding springs and shocks when I get the cash.

I've got a couple of questions:

The first is about sway bars.  I have noticed that ABD sells a front and rear sway bar kit for approx $250 while Neuspeed sells 1 sway bar for about that amount.  What gives?  Are ABD sway bars not as good, or is Neuspeed charging for the name?

I am thinking about getting a short shifter and I know ABD sells one for $65.  It doesn't have a 'lateral' motion stabilizer (or something like that) that helps prevent lateral motion and allows you to find your gears easier.  I know the Neuspeed kit has this 'lateral' doo-hicky but when I talked to someone at EIP Tuning he in MD he said that VW's were pretty good at going into the correct gears to begin with and that the 'lateral' thingamajig wasn't necessary.  Anyone installed an ABD short shifter, a Neu
speed shifter?  Are you happy w/ it?  I am leaning towards the ABD one b/c it is about $100 cheaper.

Has anyone removed the front fenders on their Scirocco?  I want to remove the right front fender and see if I can push out a ding I have.  I looked into it and noticed all the anti-corrosion spray gunk that coats the junction of the fender to the frame.  Is this stuff easy to remove?  I assume I can buy a can of this stuff at an auto parts store are re-spray it when I put the fender back on.

Last question:  Anyone pushed out dings on body panels before.  This is on the fender mentioned above.  It happens to be on the area where the black trim runs on the panel (parallel to the ground).  I want to remove the fender and bang it out from the back.  I have heard that I need a rubber mallet.  I have also heard of a technique of laying a piece of wood over the indent (on the backside of the fender) and hitting the wood so as to spread the force of the blow over a greater area.  Anyone got any experi
ence in this?

Victor J. Farren
Research & Reference Services
PPC/CDIE/DIO/RRS