RE: 13.8 Volts?/temp variations

You forget that cold outside temperatures are going to reduce the activity
of the electrons in the battery. so when it is cold your battery slows
down. People who want to keep 'A' batteries longer keep them in their
frig...

Steve Stalcup
'88 16v

On Fri, 21 Aug 1998, Ilias Glavinas wrote:

> On 21 Aug 1998, Shannon Fenton wrote:
>
> > My Voltage guage reads lower when its cool outside also? I wonder why
> > this is?
>

> Your voltage gauge opposes the laws of nature.
>
> High school physics says: the battery has an internal resistance.
> Thus, if the battery can provide E volts, some of those E volts get dissipated
> in the internal resistance. So, actually, the battery is outputting:
>
> V=E-I*r, where I is the current output by the battery and r is the
> internal resistance.
>
> Now, resistance is directly proportional to temperature. So, in winter,
> when your battery is at 40F or so, its internal temperature is much
> less, thus giving you a lower I*r and thus a higher V. That is why we
> see some lovely 14V or so when we start up the car in December, and close
> to 13V when starting up the car in July.
>
> I suspect you have some strange connection somewhere in your voltage
> gauge-to-battery path.
>

> Ilias

     Oh what can I do when you break my heart in two,
     Oh what can I feel when you break my heart in pieces.

					Count Ronald Martin
					The Electric Joy Toy Company