Re: Roc turns 190,000 miles!

On Thu, 20 Aug 1998, PC Handyman wrote:

>     VW's kick ass. I can't even imagine what it would have
> been like to buy one of these new. On the other hand, I am
> not too impressed with the durability of the newer(a3)
> stuff. I am concerned that VW is moving away from the
> philosophies of which I have been so impressed.

Speaking of durability, etc., I would like to reach a certain "truth"
about VWs in contrast to Japanese cars like Honda, Toyota, etc.

I have heard the following statement, and I kind of have come to believe
it:  Japanese cars are capable of running up to 200k+ miles, with really
minor care (ie, oil) and will lose some horses, while VWs will definitely
last that long and be almost as powerful as when new, but they need a lot
more care and maintenance. And what would happen if we had gotten a brand
new Civic in 85 and babied it like we baby our Sciroccos? Would that car
show a lot less problems and be still pulling strong now?

As for other items such as electrical/suspension/pumps/etc. I really don't
know what to believe: are the Japanese cars more reliable or VWs?

Ilias