What is the largest 8v motor available for a Mk1.

  As the subject says, what is the largest 8v motor available for a Mk1?
I would like something larger than yer run of the mill 2.0 liter.  I have
heard of 2.2 and even 2.3 but I am not sure if the conversion into a Mk1
Scirocco is possible.  I really need to get ride of my aging 1.6 liter and
I might as well go for broke.  Remember, opinions are like a**holes,
everyone has one and they all stink.  Hard facts please...  TIA

 Andre'
 Neon Green 79