Draining gas tank

Just finished draining four (US) gallons of gasoline (petrol) from the tank
of my '77 by pulling the hose from tank to fuel pump off the pump. (This gas
has been sitting in the tank for 9 years.) Question: should I be worried that
it took about two hours to drain the tank? If this is all the faster the
gas can come out of the tank then it will have a hard time pumping 750ml
in 30 seconds for the fuel pump/filter test, which I plan next. I don't relish
pulling the fuel tank to clean it out if its not necessary. But neither do
I look forward to putting some fresh gas in the tank only to have to drain
it too. (The gas cap was off when I was draining, but it didn't seem to make
much difference when I tried it both ways.)

Since I'm on digest, I would appreciate any direct replies.

Thanks,
Bob Farrell
'77 Scirocco -- original owner

bfarrell@ti.com