Re: Dead 'rocco

C'mon, be fair, it's not the most reliable car, depending on previous
maintenence, however it IS the most fun!

You didn't say if it was a 16v or not, or if it has AC or anything. I've
done a couple head gaskets on my 1.7 8v w/ no a/c or p/s or any extra crap
like that. It's a very straight forward, simple job. Just takes a little
while. (2nd on took me 2 hours)

Just remember to get the 12pt (12mm??) tool for the head bolts, and GET NEW
head bolts. All I had to buy was a headgasket ($15) and the bolts ($12). I
didn't remove the exhaust manifold or the intake manifold.
Make sure to get some stong cleaner like paint stripper to remove the nasty
carbon deposits on the head and pistons.

	In my opinion, you dont need to do anything to the head if you dont want.
I just took a bigass file to the head the second time, and with a few
strokes tried to flatten the high spots a bit. Working great so far! (8 mos).

Any questionS?

At 01:31 PM 8/10/98 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi All.
>
>The ShitRocco let me down again this weekend.
>
>It was fine until the temperature got up (we've just had a really hot
couple of
>days over here), then I got a misfire at high throttle. The problem got
worse,
>until eventually the engine died.
>
>To cut a long story short, I've blown the head gasket.
>
>So - how much work is this to replace? Do I need to skim the head, or can I
>just change the gasket?
>
>Any help much appreciated.
>
>Ta!
>
>Vic.