Re: Timbuktu and a Network

Keith:

TB2 Pro 4.x can connect via a TCP/IP dial-up (if you have auto answer
enabled in a PPP server...e.g. Vicom Internet Gateway). It can also
connect via TCP/IP over the Internet if your server has a static IP
address. In either case, "TCP/IP Incoming Access" must be checked in
the server's TB2 pull-down menu.

TB2 can also "Dial Direct" to the server if the server's
Timbuktu is configured for Dial Direct answering (and Dial
Direct Incoming Access is checked in TB2's pull-down menu).

The above alternate connection methods do not require ARA (Apple
Remote Access). Normally I do use ARA Personal Server to have
the server answer calls from a remote computer. The remote computer
must have ARA Client or Personal Server installed.

The server uses Appleshare's Users & Groups as its initial user
authentication, then allows/blocks observe, control, file transfer,
chat, flashnotes, intercom, and conferencing based on the server's
TB2 user password settings.

With earlier versions of TB2, I was able to use IPX as another
connection protocol.Support for Novell/IPX was dropped with
TB2 4.5. You can try it if you like, but my server running
MacOS 8.1 froze solid when I attempted a connection from my
old Mac IIfx, and Netopia support confirmed that IPX is not
recommended protocol for TB2 4.5 (it is not part of the
standard install--yet the 4.5 installer folder still has
the Novell Dropins there on the disk!) I can still get two 68K
computers to connect via Novell/IPX using TB2 4.0.2.

Anyway, Timbuktu is very good in very many ways. ANAT's
Network Assistant, has many additional tools that system admins
love -- especially the network performance, workstation
configuration, and software version reports.

Hope this helps.

Keith Hamilton <avonic@mindspring.com> wrote on 8/8/98 2:52 AM:

>	Is there a way for me to use timbuktu pro 4.5 from home to access
>my complete network at work without using ARA

Richard C. Schletty
Schletty Graphics
712 Smith Ave. So.
St. Paul, MN 55107