Scirocco go bye bye ...

Hi guys (and gals),

The day is quickly approaching when I have to send my beloved car off to
the body shop ... I writhe in pain at the mere thought of being separated
from my car for over a week - but my dad has graciously offered to lend me
his "winter car" (a diesel Mercedes, of all things) while its gone, so I
will still have something German to drive.  Maybe life isn't so bad after
all.

Now that I'm on a "bar nothing" spending spree, I figured I might as well
throw on a set of side marker lights.  I stopped at the VW dealer
yesterday to look at the side marker lights used on the new Passat.  They
are really big, and would require a hefty hole in the fenders.  I held one
up to my Scirocco fender, and I don't think it woudl look right.

What I would really like is somethign smaller, that sticks out a wee bit
more.  Like the ones on the Mercedes SLK.  They have a bit of a tee-pee
shape, and they really look sharp.  Has anyone played with the SLK side
marker lights before?  Do they require an enormous hole like the Passat
lights?  Obviously, I would like something that only requires a few
drilled holes, but I guess I can't have it all, eh?

And before people ask, I will note that I have looked at lights in just
about every automotive jobber around here.  I do *not* want something that
looks like a truck clearance light.  Most of those are really garrish
looking.  The side marker lights that I like tend to be fairly tiny -
smaller, rather, than most of the lights out there.

I'm still at odds about where to drill the hole for my Fuba antenna.  I do
have a sunroof, and my biggest concern is not interfering with the smooth
operation of my roof.  Maybe I should just take out the back of the
headliner and pick a spot that way?  At least I would know it won't
interfere with anything if I do that (and I'll have to drop it eventually
...)

Arg.  I hate bodywork.  It's so damn finnicky.  But I promise I'll post
pics of the car when it's done, in my web site below.  And don't be shy;
everyone is always invited to my web site; it increases my little counter,
if nothing else.  :-)

Cheers,
-- Michael Helms

'81 Scirocco - the fixer-upper