go with the flow.. 1.8/2.0

The gods at the VW Tech line have SPOKEN. All hail:

Sheldon Shippee: i got the answer from vw today!
ME: so what's the good word?
SS: we were both right!!!
ME: so lay it on me...!
SS: here is the explanation: 90  and early 91 GlI and GTI have
the same     head as the 1.8l 16v.......late 91 and 92 GLI and
GTI have a diff     head that flow slightly less then the
early 2.0 (1.8l) head.  All     passat 2.0 16v heads are the
low flow type.  another words 90, 91     and 92 passat 2.0 16v
have the later style gti and GLI head!!  so     the passat has
the lesser flowing head!!!  and there is our answer.
ME: so now...

    if my new engine is a 91 or above, i should look for a 1.8
head...     and if it's not, then they're all the same?
SS: i guess...but from the way the tech from vw was talking
there really     wasnt too much of a diff.....like he said if
you polish both     heads...they end up being just about equal
in flow....he said the     newer head flows less not because
of design so much as because of     the amount and size of
casting marks etc in the head (although the     head is
slightly diff)

So if anyone would care to spell it out, I'm all ears. I hope
this clears things up for those w/ doubts...

Carl