[tech] Idle stabilizer

I was troubleshooting my startup idle problems last night and realized that
the idle stabilizer is not buzzing with the ignition in the on position.
 The harness is getting 12 volts to the center pin but only shows about
8-9V bridged between the outer terminals and the center.  It does pulse
slightly between the contacts so I think that the computer is good but I
only have a cheezy Haynes manual to troubleshoot this problem so I'm
basically Fu_ked.

Doe anyone out there have the Bently that describes how to test the idle
stabilizer on an 86GTI that you could scan and e-mail to me???
 Specifically the resistance between the pins on the stabilizer itself.
 Also if any of you technical types could explain the relationship between
the idle stabilizer, idle switch, thermo switch, oxy sensor, it might help
me understand where the problem is.

Thanks,

Brian Honnold
'78 Rocco Ragtop