Upper strut bearings...again?

Heyzall:

	A few months ago I swapped out my old upper strut bearings (USB
hereafter) and got rid of that annoying clanking noise while going over
bumps.  Soon afterwards however, the racket came back in full strength.
Can these things go bad this fast?  Although these USB's were unused, they
had been sitting in my room for about 3 years.  Does the part (rubber?)
that fails on these things have a shelf life which is shortened by L.A.'s
ozone-rich haze?  I can't remember if the USB's had a brand name on them
but they did have the horsepower-boosting "made in Germany" stamp on them.
	BTW, my anti-rattle springs are all acounted for and I think my
ball joints are OK--a tiny amount of play when pulling on the tops of the
tires but doesn't seem enough to account for the noise I hear.  The car has
cut unknown manufacturer springs with equally anonymous shocks of
questionable condition.  Can any of these things assassinate an otherwise
healthy USB?  Please advise and TIA, benton------