Re: Hard first and third gear.....

1.  My bet is you pulled the long shifter rod under the car out of the
front linkage.

Look under the car at the rod that runs along your exhaust from the
shifter to the firewall.  On the front of the rod is a round clamp
that has an open square.  In that open square is a large ball that
connects to the big vertical bar.  Get two 13mm wrenches, a hammer
and a vise-grips.

Clamp the vise grips to the long lod that runs front to back along
the exhaust pipeso you have a handle on the bar.
Take a marker and mark the location of the clamp
to the end of the rod.  You need to slide the clamp back the rod
without allowing it to turn on the rod.  If the clamp turns one
tooth, it will mess up you linkage allignment.  Loosen the clamp and
tap the clamp back the rod about 1/4 inch.  That will fix your
problem.

possiblility #2.
You may have blown out the bushings in your shifter linkage and there
may be too much slop in the linkage to get the levers to push on the
tranny.  When was the last time you replaced the shifter bushings?

My bet would be #1, but #2 is common on our old stuff.

HTH, and good luck.

> From:          Neuspeed76@aol.com
> Date:          Sun, 2 Aug 1998 20:34:55 EDT
> To:            phillyscca@enter.net, scirocco-L@scirocco.org
> Subject:       Hard first and third gear.....

> Hey I have the 76 Rabbit with 4 spd and 1.6...........anyways I just got done
> killin a honda accord and on the way home I noticed it wasn't goin in all the
> way to third...now I can hardly force it into first even when double
> clutching..etc...My clutch is about done with...and I have noticed a small
> scattered leak lately but couldn't find it...why is it doing this and what can
> I do...
> Thanx,
> Greyson

Ken Buck
Philadelphia Region SCCA Solo II Chair
78 DSP VW Scirocco regional champ 94, 95, 97
85 VW Scirocco dirt Thunder Car
"1997 Rookie of the Year" Linda's Speedway
Rusty 78 Scirocco daily driver
(2) '80 Sciroccos- project cars- for sale