Re: Suspensions

OK you asked, so I'll answer them as best I can below.

> At 5:33 PM +0004 08/01/1998, Ken Buck wrote:
>
> >This winter I plan to tub-out the rear to get it down where it
> >belongs.
>
> I'm not sure lowering the rear of the Scirocco is necessary to go fast, or
> at least, lowering it more than the front.  If he had to cut the fenders
> both front and rear, the car is too low(assuming it is a DSP car).

His rear sits lower then the front, my car sits level.

> >To finish the suspension details, I am running the Neuspeed 25mm
> >front/ 28mm rear, and Tockico adjustables.  Does anyone think I
> >should go with a lighter front swaybar?
>
> Is it really a 25mm front bar?  Where'd you get that?  I was under the
> impression that Neuspeed only made 22 for the front of an A1.  To answer
> your question, I don't think it is too big, 22 or 25.  What rate are the
> Eibachs?
You could be right about the front bar, it was the biggest Neuspeed
made 4 years ago.  The Eibachs rate is unknown, I bought them used,
but they are the progressive rate springs.

> IMHO, there's no reason to cut the rear fenders of a Scirocco in DSP.  In
> Prepared, where you could move the pickup points around to maintain
> geometry, maybe.  Or, if he is using a 15x8 or so wheel with a big tire,
> maybe, but I don't think a 15 is going to be fast without a final drive
> change(illegal).  If final drives were free, I'd consider a wide 15, but
> until that day, I'll take the gearing of the 13 - plus, a 15 will raise the
> ride height a lot compared to a 13, which I feel is a liability.

He and I are both running 13X9's, but I have the standard off-set, so
my tires stick out a bunch further then his.

  What else
> have you done to the suspension?  Stiffer springs are _probably_ in order,
> I just don't know the rate of the Eibach off the top of my head.  What
> camber/alignment are you using?
As much camber as I could get with stock pieces, about 2.5-3 degrees,
and about 1/4 inch toe out.

>  Tire?  Pressure?
I run BFG R1's 215/50/R13, they are streched out nicely on the wide
rims, so I run 26lbs front and 30 lbs rear.  The car is stable in the
corners.

  What are you doing with
> the shock settings?  The Tokicos add a lot of artificial spring rate, if
> you are running them on "5."

I run "1" in front and "3" in back, any stiffer and the car 'hops' in
the corners.

>Are your lots bumpy or smooth?
Fairly smooth.  The asphalt is fairly new, no patches or pot-holes.

 What kind of
> driver are you?
Very aggressive.  That's what DSP VW's are about  :^)

> I guess I'd like to know spring rates and whether the lots
> you run on are stiff.  I'd personally not suggest lowering the car so far
> that fenders need cut, though - I can't see for the life of me how that'd
> work well!

I actualy had to put rubber blocks in my rear springs because the
fenders laid right down on the tires when I first buiolt the car.  I
know what rubber blocks do to spring geometry, but they sit too low
for the fat rims.  I would like to use a stiffer rear spring so I
don't need the blocks, buit I would like the rear to also sit lower,
Hence my dilema.