re Synthetic oil

A well broken in engine will run a suprisingly long
time without oil- treated or not.
one reason why I cannot believe (and I not doubting the
fact that you didn't have oil,)
but if you didn't there would be no pressure.

  you oil light would be on (if it worked) and at least
there would be
some noise from the oil pump whilst it sucked air.

Synthetic has it drawbacks-

*It doesn't have a good shelf life.

an old car that Synthetic has been used in the past can
cause problems-
It "dries" up, and turns to goo.

trust me , I know

Bought an 87 golf GT a few years back very cheap
because
the oil light was on.

hoping for the best but expecting the worse, I removed
the oil plug, nothing.
thinking it was just out of oil, I added some- funny,
why wont this drain out?
removed the oil pan to find a solid clump the cositency
of mashed potatoes
PO has religiously used Synthetic (Mobil one), but this
time,
she went away for a year, and the oil dried up into a
gooy mess.
a knife would stand up straight in this stuff.

have never used synthetic oil in my life, raced
Porsches,
towed 5000 lbs. with a Chinook camper(4 cyl Datsun), to
Chicago from Niagara Falls,and back
Drove a Mercedes (diesel) cross country that had
450,000 miles on it........

never any oil related problems.(that I caused)

IMHO,
it is not worth the extra cost.

Percy.