Re: Suspensions

At 5:33 PM +0004 08/01/1998, Ken Buck wrote:

>This winter I plan to tub-out the rear to get it down where it
>belongs.

I'm not sure lowering the rear of the Scirocco is necessary to go fast, or
at least, lowering it more than the front.  If he had to cut the fenders
both front and rear, the car is too low(assuming it is a DSP car).

>To finish the suspension details, I am running the Neuspeed 25mm
>front/ 28mm rear, and Tockico adjustables.  Does anyone think I
>should go with a lighter front swaybar?

Is it really a 25mm front bar?  Where'd you get that?  I was under the
impression that Neuspeed only made 22 for the front of an A1.  To answer
your question, I don't think it is too big, 22 or 25.  What rate are the
Eibachs?

IMHO, there's no reason to cut the rear fenders of a Scirocco in DSP.  In
Prepared, where you could move the pickup points around to maintain
geometry, maybe.  Or, if he is using a 15x8 or so wheel with a big tire,
maybe, but I don't think a 15 is going to be fast without a final drive
change(illegal).  If final drives were free, I'd consider a wide 15, but
until that day, I'll take the gearing of the 13 - plus, a 15 will raise the
ride height a lot compared to a 13, which I feel is a liability.  What else
have you done to the suspension?  Stiffer springs are _probably_ in order,
I just don't know the rate of the Eibach off the top of my head.  What
camber/alignment are you using?  Tire?  Pressure?   What are you doing with
the shock settings?  The Tokicos add a lot of artificial spring rate, if
you are running them on "5."  Are your lots bumpy or smooth?  What kind of
driver are you?  I guess I'd like to know spring rates and whether the lots
you run on are stiff.  I'd personally not suggest lowering the car so far
that fenders need cut, though - I can't see for the life of me how that'd
work well!

I.Mannix