Re: Engine code question

Hehe, I knew you'd see it my way! :)
But you might want the hydraulic lifters for your new engine just because
they don't need to be adjusted which is a small PITA. Of course, they are
more prone to problems/breakdowns than solid lifters, in addition to the
small performance loss, IMHO. Depends on what kind of service this engine
is destined for. You gonna race it at all? What kind of car is it going into?

(If you can't tell, I've done a bit of research on which engine to use in
my own car)
Right now I'm almost finished w/ a JH for my '81. The original 1.7 has
approx. 200,000 miles on it, and apart from the oil smoking(valve stem
seals), it's running strong! Im probably pumping out about 80-90 hp from
it, w/ 2 cracked valves , and the cylinder wall clearance so loose that you
can rattle the piston in the bore by hand! :)

At 02:15 PM 8/1/98 -0500, you wrote:
>That is a good point.  I knew that the compression would make a difference
>on the horsepower, but I figured the different injection schemes on those
>vehicles would also show a difference in horsepower.... wonder where I can
>find a JH engine :)
>
>At 11:52 AM 8/1/98 -0700, Kevin wrote:
>>I'd like to remind you the the higher horsepower ratings shown are almost
>>entirely a function of the auxilliary systems of the CAR, not the engine.
>>i.e. exhaust, intake, fuel injection...
>>	The only 2 exceptions are compression-- and you don't want the 10:1
>>compression w/ a CIS motor anyways! It's a lot easier to increase
>>compresssion (like an 8.6:1 JH--shave the head) than to lower it.
>>	The other exception is the camshaft. Presumably you'll be going to a
>>G-grind anyway, which is the best all-around cam for 99 bux.
>>Which is why I say that for a swap to regular CIS, the JH rules.

Kevin Fry .:. 81 Scirocco S
      San Diego, CA