Re: 91 Scirocco

Message text written by "Jay Docherty"
>> From:          brett@kodak.com (Brett VanSprewenburg)
> To:            scirocco-l@privatei.com
> Subject:       Re: 91 Scirocco

> The Scirocco was made up until 1992, but not exported everywhere.
> Important to note due to the fact the factory is supposed to support
> their cars for 10 years, so we've got until 2002 until some of the trim
> pieces will become totally unavailable as new.

Thats very interesting, although it really doesn't make sense to me.
I don't believe it one bit.  The corrado was the sciroccos
replacement.  Because what I understand is that the scirocco wasn't
selling as well as they wanted.  They started making the corrado in
'90.  Then they stopped making it in 95 again (from what I gather)
because it wasn't selling up to par.  So why would VW make the
scirocco the same time as the corrado?!!?!?  The corrado was its
replacement.  Thet would have been like making the cabrio and
cabriole in the same year, its not good marketing.

If I'm wrong on any points here, tell me right away so I can change
my name and move away.

                                      Jay
'80 Scirocco 1.8 8v
<

*********************************
Please dont change your name  and move away.
OK, first the Scirocco was in production untill 1991 according to my
records (Auto Katalog Modelljahr World book of all cars). Some 92's could
have been made but I don't have a record of it and I bet they were right
hand drive for the most part. The Corrado was in production in 1989 and
some were built in 1988. The two cars were in production at the same time.
The Scirocco was a poor man's car and the Corrado was hightech. VW was not
sure if the Corrado would replace the Scirocco because they were so
different in concept (high price vs low price). The US market did not see
the Scirocco after 1989 (slow sales). Japan got the Scirocco untill '91.
The US was late getting the Corrado and the new Passat B3. It is common for
some markets to get cars years after they are replaced or upgraded. Just
look at the BUG. It is still in production in Mexico. The rabbit truck was
in production in 1990 and Toyota was shipping there truck with the VW logo
to Europe at the same time. The rabbit truck was off the US market in '84.
So you see it is not such a big deal to build both versions of a sport
coupe for VW.

Doug
87 16v silver Scirocco.