Re: Exhaust Problem/HP??

> Brad Sheridan wrote:
>

> > > This may be seen as blasphemy....but;  Bently isn't ALWAYS right.
> >
> >  You're right, that IS Blasphemy :). Maybe if it was only Bentley I'd seen
> > it in, I'd buy that it could be wrong. But I've seen these figures in many
> > places. The only places I've seen 90 hp figures for 85 up JH engines was
> > articles by people who didn't know what they're talking about, and generic
> > repair manuals.
> >
> >    The great VW&P VW engine mod chart(Oct. 90 issue) lists the JH engines
> > split into two sections, the 83-84 making 90hp, and the 85 up making 94hp.
> > This was hashed over in the newsgroup a few years ago, I don't know if
> > anyone ever came up with a conclusive difference, but one possibilty that I
> > recall being mentioned was the pre 85s had a full size spare, while the 85
> > and laters had a half size. Possibly the exhaust was routed differently?
> > I remember from when I bought my Techtonics downpipe that Techtonics has
> > different systems for the scirocco II, with the split somewhere around the
> > 84 1/2 time that the half size spare was introduced, so I think its sounds
> > quite possible that there are two different routings for the exhaust
> > depending on the spare tire size.
> >
> >   Ok, Mike Potter, I'm sure YOU know whether or not there really are any
> > differences, and probably exactly what they are. Feel free to quit lurking
> > just long enough to answer this one;)
> >
> > Brad

Yeh Yeh OK OK !! :-)

> don't the 85+ cars have air shrouded injectors? maybe that's the difference?
> they also have a transfer pump in the bigger gas tanks.
>
> Nigel Heron
> 86 Scirocco 8v. (anyways, my bentley says : 94hp@5500rpm and 102lbs-ft@3000rpm)

Yes the 85+ cars do have the shrouded injectors but they went to that
in 84 on the JH with the rabbit GTI's & there's no change there.

On the exhaust system the only difference I ever knew about was the
hanger mounts, In mid 84 (approx 1-84) They changed from the old
style hanger mounts (like a hook) to having a rod welded on &
the rod slipped through a hole on the hanger. I don't think the
piping is run or bent differently simply because I have sold early
systems to people with late cars & they had the hangers changed over
& the systems fit fine.
As for the difference in HP from 90-94, I dunno!!
My factory engine code/HP/model/years that applied book says
JH 5/83 to7/89  = 95 HP applicable to Rabbit GTI, Jetta GLI (84),
Rabbit Conv/ Cabby, Scirocco .
Even the parts microfische states JH= 95 HP.
Dunno where EC got there info but many factory specks change from
book to book. Even when I built my RD motor Mr. bently says it's
10.0-1 compression but the VW service microfilm states RD 9.0-1.
Jeeeezzz, WHO do you belive???? So I cross referenced piston part #'s
& all RD's are the same as later 10.0-1 motors. And now that I've
put my foot in a 8.5-1 motor (or is it 9.2-1 SHAWN?????) I can
definetly tell that mine is 10.0-1:) (Or is that 11.2-1
Shave,shave,shave)

Pheeeeeuuwwwww!
Potterman
Michael Potter