Re: HELP!!!!

On Thu, 18 Sep 1997 17:29:19 -0600 (MDT) Night Shadow
<soltwede@ucsub.colorado.edu> writes:

>This week has majorly sucked guys, spun a rod bearing yesterday, the
>local shop refuses to fix it, saying that I've probably got schrapnel
inside
>everywhere, they wan to replace the bottom end......(Shawn what did
>you do?)....

I replaced the bottom end.

>so I'm looking for advise here, replace the motor(which I
>really don't have the money for, plus I liked this motor) or try and
have
>another shop replace the bearing????HELP!!!!!
>
>Eric......
>PS--anybody have a nice low mileage 8v 1.8 8.5:1 motor>>> for REALLY
>cheap?<<<<

Worse case scenerio is you will need to replace the crankshaft and maybe
the connecting rod. Depending on how badly the spun bearing damaged both
items. You will at least have to drop the oil pan and find which bearing
went bad.
Do this and inspect the crank for damage. You might get away with
throwing in a new bearing and drivingthe car. I doubt it and besides, it
stands a good chance of spinning another bearing. (crank and the
connecting rod are weakened.)
HTH!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and