How to strip the sound deadening material

Hi Everyone-
  This weekend I put the scirocco on a severe diet.  In prep of having
a weld-in cage installed I started stripping carpet and the insulation
out of the car.  It seems that there is a layer of undercoat looking
stuff on the floorboard under the front seats.  I need to get this
stuff outta there, but the stuff seems to be impervious to scrapers.
Is there any good way to get rid of this stuff?  Seems like undercoating
is actually easier to get off :-(.  Any suggestions are appreciated.
			Thanks,
			Arthur
--
Arthur L. Hunt                       SAS Institute Inc
snoalh@unx.sas.com                   (919) 677-8000 x6876