Re: Heat from 80/100W lamps?

Ilias Glavinas wrote:

> I have recently put 80/100W lamps in my Hellas and I have noticed that
> after driving for about 15minutes, my key got hot!
>
> I took out the lower plastic cover of the steering column, to find out
> that the whole bundle of wires going into the ignition was unusually hot.
> I would bet that it is the higher load of the bulbs, which forces more
> current to go through the ignition when the lights are on. Heating does
> not occur without the lights on.
>
> I don't think it can get too hot to cause problems, but one never knows.
> Does anyone know of a case where the higher wattage lamps caused such
> problems?
>
> Thanks,
>         Ilias (ready to sue Bentley for making me believe my car had
> 94hp...)
> --
******

I would very strongly suggest using a headlight relay.
If you go to the trouble of putting highh wattage lamps in, you might as
well give them all the wattage they deserve. Saves on the switch and
wiring's wear and tear, too.

'Roccin Ron
88' 16V with new injector seals - "So *that's* where the low end power
had gone.... Idles better,too!"