Re: Tranny Swap

On Sun, 21 Sep 1997 22:59:51 -0500 "Daugherty, Jerry"
<jdaugherty@inacomps.com> writes:
>Well, I finally did it.  I swapped the transmission in my 87 this
>weekend.  And all by my lonesome, too! (Sorry; I know Shawn and alot
>of the rest of you could probably do these things in your sleep, but I
was
>feeling pretty stoked).

Your right, I could do it in my sleep but I would get grease on my pillow
and Julie wont allow that...

All joking aside, good job man! Anytime anybody (especially from this
list! ----->yet, another wise ass joke from ish.)
can put in a tranny and everything work mostly like its supposed to and
you have all the digits you started with, its gotta be a mechanical
victory for sure! I think I'll celebrate and crack open a beer or two!!
Whoopie!!!!!!!!!

>1)  My temperature light now blinks continuously, even though the temp
>seems to be fine.  Could I have inadvertently dislodged a wire?  I know
>that there was a thread on this a couple of weeks ago, but I can't
>remember the final resolution.

Yah, you could have Ollie. Check dem wire that goes to the water temp
sensor. Sounds like you pulled it off. (I dunno why but everytime I do a
tranny I end up pulling the wire from the connector.)

>2)  The reverse light stays on whenever the vehicle is on now.  Easy
>fix, of course, is to disconnect the harness from the tranny until I can
>swap it out.  My question is, Does this harness provide any information
>to the computer?  And if it does, will it be a problem for a few days?
>Thanks for letting me gloat, and any info would be appreciated.
>
>Jerry Daugherty
>85 8v (Parts)
>87 8v (now with all 5 gears)
>97 Jetta GLS (Girlfriends)

Im a little confused as to whether or not the rev light switch is matched
with the tranny or if its matched with the car? I think its matched to
the car. Which switch did you use? In any case, do you have a spare
switch to use/test? Try that.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and